[yt-users] HaloProfiler Troubles

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 00:42:30 PST 2013

In particular, if you don't have both gfortran and a supplementary python
package named Forthon available then the fortran kdtree will not be built.
 Forthon is built by the install script if it finds a fortran compiler.  If
you didn't install using the install script, you'll need to install it
manually.  "pip install forthon" should work.  We don't mandate a fortran
compiler to run the install script since installing one can be a pain on OS
X.

The logic that handles forthon/gfortran detection is in the setup.py file
in the top level of the yt source distribution:
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/be524f912750b192aab75b9e5aacdab3421b2e6c/setup.py?at=yt#cl-28

You'll know whether they're built or not built depending on the stdout
output you see when running "python setup.py develop" in the root of the yt
source distribution.  If you installed using the install script, this will
be in "/path/to/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg".

If gfortran is available, you'll see something like this (near the top of
about a hundred lines of other output):

$ python setup.py develop

*snip*
running build_forthon
Building package fKD
  Forthon fKD.v
  F90Free fKD_p.F90
  F90Free fKD_source.f90
  F90Free fKD.F90
  Preprocess Forthon.h
  Preprocess Forthon.c
  Setup fKD
*snip*

If forthon/gfortran are not available, you'll see something like this in
the same place:

$ python setup.py develop

*snip*
running build_forthon
fKDpy.so won't be built due to missing Forthon/gfortran
*snip*

"setup.py develop" just builds the source distribution in-place.  If you
prefer to install yt in the same location as the rest of your python
packages, you can also do "setup.py install".

Hope that helps.  Let us know if you continue to have trouble.

-Nathan