[yt-users] Cylindrical and Polar Slicing (FLASH)

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 05:27:45 PDT 2013

Hi Morgan,

Welcome to yt!

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Morgan MacLeod <morganmacleod at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear yt gurus,
>
> I've enjoyed using yt for a number of FLASH problems in cartesian
> geometry. Right now I'm just starting on a setup in FLASH 2D polar
> (eventually also in 3D cylindrical) geometries.
>
> These are ordered
> 2D polar: r, theta
> 3D cylindrical: r, theta, z
>
> I was intrigued when I noticed this image on the yt-blog (
> http://blog.yt-project.org/post/WhatsUpWith30.html) -- which is almost
> exactly what I would like to do.
>
> [image: http://blog.yt-project.org/attachments/cylindrical_pixelizer.png]
>

> I have updated to yt-3.0, and tried the simplest "Sliceplot" of the data:
>
> fn = "const_rho_g_atm_hdf5_plt_cnt_0013"
>   pf = load(fn)
>   fig = SlicePlot(pf, 2,'dens').save("myfig.png")
>
> This reads loads the 2D polar plot file correctly, but renders the result
> in a cartesian sense.
>
> Does anyone have advice/recipes for how to proceed with Slices rendered
> "cylindrically"? I understand that this feature set is not yet fully
> developed but I was curious if there was a solution (or parts of a
> solution) floating around out there.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Morgan MacLeod

So, this is an area of active development.  Right now, you can do it
*manually* by calling the pixelizer, but unfortunately it's not automated
yet -- Anthony, JohnZ and I almost got it completely integrated to
seamlessly do this, but unfortunately work stalled for a while.  Today and
tomorrow I have to attend to some release & conference issues, but because
I think this is quite close to completion I will be putting an item on my
todo list to attempt to address this on Monday, including providing
examples and tests.

Best,

Matt