[yt-users] broke yt trying to update

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:21:17 PDT 2013

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks very much for the detailed and conscientious reports.

The first issue is an upstream issue with the zeromq release (3.2.3) we
distribute: https://github.com/zeromq/zeromq3-x/issues/103. As you saw, it
can be fixed by adding the needed newline. I've reported an issue about
this on our issue tracker (
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/641/zeromq-323-release-tarball-has-a-small),
it should hopefully be fixed soon so others will not have the same issue.

The second issue is due to a benign typo in the install script.  I've
opened a PR to fix it:
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/582/fixing-a-benign-typo-in-the-install-script/diff
.

Cheers,

Nathan Goldbaum

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Stephanie Tonnesen <stonnes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Okay!  Thanks for all the help, the new installation loaded yt.mods for me
> (other checks will have to wait for tomorrow)!
>
> For anyone who is interested, here are two things I thought were sort of
> strange in the installation:
>
> 1)  on my first attempt at bash install_script.sh, the installation failed
> with the message below:
>
> Installing BZLIB
> Installing ZLIB
> Installing PNG
> Installing FreeType2
> Installing HDF5
> Installing SQLite3
> Installing Python.  This may take a while, but don't worry.  yt loves you.
> Installing mercurial-2.7
> Setting YT_DIR=/u/stonnes/Installs/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg/
> Installing distribute
> Installing pip
> Installing numpy-1.7.1
> Installing matplotlib-1.3.0
> Installing ZeroMQ
>         FAILURE REPORT:
>
>   CXXLD  test_invalid_rep
>   CXX    test_msg_flags.o
>   CXXLD  test_msg_flags
>   CXX    test_connect_resolve.o
>   CXXLD  test_connect_resolve
>   CXX    test_connect_delay.o
> test_connect_delay.cpp:260:2: error: no newline at end of file
> make[1]: *** [test_connect_delay.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/u/stonnes/Installs/yt-x86_64/src/zeromq-3.2.3/tests'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

> Failure.  Check /u/stonnes/Installs/yt-x86_64/yt_install.log.  The last 10
> lines are above.
>
> This was easily fixed by just adding a line at the end of the file.   I am
> not sure if it was my computer that was the problem, or if a recent change
> is going to make this fail for other people, too.
>
> 2)  This initial set-up list looks normal, but it seems strange that for
> *almost* everything =1 means the installation will happen, EXCEPT Rockstar.
>
> INST_ZLIB       = 1 so I will  be installing zlib
> INST_BZLIB      = 1 so I will  be installing bzlib
> INST_PNG        = 1 so I will  be installing libpng
> INST_FTYPE      = 1 so I will  be installing freetype2
> INST_SQLITE3    = 1 so I will  be installing SQLite3
> INST_HG         = 1 so I will  be installing Mercurial
> INST_ENZO       = 0 so I won't be checking out Enzo
> INST_PYX        = 0 so I won't be installing PyX
> INST_SCIPY      = 0 so I won't be installing scipy
> INST_0MQ        = 1 so I will  be installing ZeroMQ
> INST_ROCKSTAR   = 0 so I will  be installing Rockstar
>

> -Stephanie
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM, j s oishi <jsoishi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yup, that's exactly where it goes.

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Stephanie Tonnesen <stonnes at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, another question then about rerunning a new copy of the
>>> install script.  Where do I put it to run it again?  right now my file
>>> structure looks like
>>>
>>> /u/stonnes/Installs/yt-x86_64/
>>> bin/
>>> include/