[yt-users] Cylindrical and Polar Slicing (FLASH)

Morgan MacLeod morganmacleod at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 17:58:54 PDT 2013

Dear yt gurus,

I've enjoyed using yt for a number of FLASH problems in cartesian geometry.
Right now I'm just starting on a setup in FLASH 2D polar (eventually also
in 3D cylindrical) geometries.

These are ordered
2D polar: r, theta
3D cylindrical: r, theta, z

I was intrigued when I noticed this image on the yt-blog (
http://blog.yt-project.org/post/WhatsUpWith30.html) -- which is almost
exactly what I would like to do.

[image: http://blog.yt-project.org/attachments/cylindrical_pixelizer.png]

I have updated to yt-3.0, and tried the simplest "Sliceplot" of the data:

fn = "const_rho_g_atm_hdf5_plt_cnt_0013"
  pf = load(fn)
  fig = SlicePlot(pf, 2,'dens').save("myfig.png")

This reads loads the 2D polar plot file correctly, but renders the result
in a cartesian sense.

Does anyone have advice/recipes for how to proceed with Slices rendered
"cylindrically"? I understand that this feature set is not yet fully
developed but I was curious if there was a solution (or parts of a
solution) floating around out there.

Thanks so much,

Morgan MacLeod
Graduate Student