[yt-users] yt-3.0 question: find_field_value_at_point()

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Thu Apr 4 07:51:02 PDT 2013

Hi Nick,

Sam is correct that porting over find_field_value_at_point should be
pretty simple to get working, here's how I would do it:

- use pf.h.find_points() to find the most-refined grid at your point(s).
- use that grid's size (left edge/right edge/size) to figure out the
index of the cell in the grid that contains your point(s), which is
straightforward algebra.
- use that index to select out the values from the field arrays
(grid[field][index])

This is basically how find_field_value_at_point works and you can look
at that in 2.x as a guide. If you get it working, you are encouraged
to issue a pull request for it!

Good luck!