[yt-users] How do you make movies?

Geoffrey So gsiisg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:32:29 PDT 2012

Thanks John, "avconv" seems just as good as mencoder and better in some
aspects.

I was able to get the built-in media player on my mac QuickTime to play the
mp4 file I produced using:

#!/bin/bash
fps=25
output=output.mp4
avconv -r $fps -f image2 -i %04d.png -b 45M $output

some things I noticed:
- for any bit rate above 45M it just stays at 45M for max during encoding
(for mencoder when above the limit is specified, it defaults to the lower
limit), but this could be due to the dimensions of my png files
- the fps it displayed while encoding is around 12-13, not sure why even
though I specified fps to be 25
- QuickTime can play the movie, not just VLC.
- Being on the mac, I had to use MacPorts to install "yasm", but after that
it's just ./configure;make;make install

The image quality is definitely better than what I can make with mencoder
when the bitrate is cranked high, so I think I'll use this from now on :-)

Thanks again!

From
G.S.