[yt-users] how to control the pixel size for projection/slice plot in order to use ffmpeg

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:25:43 PDT 2012

Hi Suoqing,

For a while (and currently in the stable branch), we were using a
bbox_inches='tight' keyword when saving matplotlib figures to take care of
fitting all of the labels/axes/etc on the canvas.  As you've noticed
though, this can lead to different sized images.  Shortly after 2.4 was
released, we changed this behavior a bit in the "yt" branch so that the
image size says the same for a given aspect ratio simulation.  I think the
quickest way to get the behavior you'd like is to cd to your yt-hg
directory and do:

hg pull;
hg up -r 3840366c0379
python setup.py install