[yt-users] cell volume for 2d cylindrical FLASH data

Ji Suoqing jisuoqing at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:51:31 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I've just found something confusing when dealing with 2d cylindrical data: the CellVolume is defined as cartesian form instead of cylindrical form. In FLASH, the cell volume for 2d cylindrical is defined as:

r * dr * dz * 2pi

While in YT, all the cell volumes have the same value. Although it's not difficult to define our own cell volume by ourselves, I just wonder this might lead to problems when calculating other quantities, such as any summation of volume-average quantities.

Best wishes,
Suoqing