[yt-users] Clump tracking!

Patrick Rieser patrick.rieser at uibk.ac.at
Fri Oct 5 16:15:46 PDT 2012

As I am running a little bit out of time to finish this, I thought about
doint this the simple and "brute force" way.
So this is the current plan: I am going to iterate through all snapshots
we have, and write out all clump objects with pickle. Starting at
snapshot 0 i am going to estimate the position of the center of mass of
the clump in the new snapshot using it's bulk velocity and see if I can
find the clump in the surrounding area (looping through all clumps in
the following snapshot). If I find one or more, I will compare the mass
and identify it as the same or not (if the mass doesn't match maybe i
check if a second one vanished). This might not be a very elegant way,
but I hope it works for our system (galaxy cluster). I am quite new to
this stuff, so if I got any horrible mistakes here, please correct me.

> For instance, we include a Cython
> kD-tree that we use to provide a nearest-neighbor search when doing
> merger trees.

Thanks, I will take a look into that!

> and you didn't
> want to go full-on "lagrangian coherent structures"

I took a look at it and it seems really interesting. It's really a pity
I don't have enough time at the moment.

best wishes,
Patrick