[yt-users] yt install script package version updates

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:14:07 PDT 2012

Hi all,

In the development branch of yt, we have recently updated the versions
of several packages.  In IRC last night ( #yt on irc.freenode.net,
http://yt-project.org/irc.html ) the idea was tossed around of
notifying the mailing list when this happens, so I'm testing that out.

If you want to install new versions, you just have to run the latest
version of the install script -- no need to remove any previous
versions except for space considerations!  Below I have noted the
versions of the new packages, as well as any yt-related changes that
they have brought with them.  (The original packages themselves have
long changelogs you can also consult.)

h5py -- recently upgraded to 2.0.1 from 1.3.1.  This fixes some issues
a few people have seen of segfaults in the Enzo frontend.
IPython -- recently upgraded to 0.12 from 0.10.  If you've ever seen
"<dict> has no len()!" this will fix it.
PyX -- now optionally included!

Thanks, and as always, let us know if you run into any problems.
We're (tentatively) aiming for a late April / early May release of yt
2.4, at which point the install script in the development branch will
be merged back into the stable branch.