[yt-users] Reason GUI updates

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 06:12:35 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Over the last little while, a few of us have been working to update
and improve the GUI for yt, "Reason."

These changes were pushed into the main repository this morning.  They
include a visual refresh, a smaller footprint on disk, and a 3D scene
based on XTK.  (The camera path editor in the 3D scene is still
awaiting some fixes, but the concept is working.)  I'd encourage you,
if you're on the development branch of yt, to update and give it a
shot:

yt update
yt serve

The first time you run this it will tell you to download a package
containing the javascript necessary to run, but after that it should
run fine.  This version also includes the ability to run in parallel
on an MPI cluster, but the user interface for that is still being
developed.  (If you would like to test this out before it's polished
up, drop on by IRC or yt-dev.)

Any feedback you have would be appreciated.  We're going to be pushing
for a stable release in the near future.

-Matt

PS This and a few other things, such as a revised plotting mechanism,
were the product of a sprint we had last weekend.  The summary is
here:

http://lists.spacepope.org/pipermail/yt-dev-spacepope.org/2012-June/002118.html
http://lists.spacepope.org/pipermail/yt-dev-spacepope.org/2012-June/002112.html