[yt-users] Having trouble running yt on kraken

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 17:31:15 PDT 2012

Hi Yuan,

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Yuan Li <bear0980 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I was making thin projections. Each output dataset (DD****) is about 14G.
> What are "multiple root level tiles"? I have 256^3 root grids...

Hm, you should be able to project no problem, even in serial on a
laptop.  I think the problem might be in an option that we recently
changed, which was over-allocated memory for operations like these.
We're putting out a release very soon (over on yt-dev we're even
talking about drafting the release announcement!) which would be a
good time to upgrade.  The issue that was happening in the past was
that all grids for a given data source were being loaded at
initializatio nof the projection; plus, recent fixes to how the
projection was reduced in parallel should reduce peak memory usage but
keep it also steady at that peak.

This also sounds like a good use case for a recipe in the cookbook
that's going out with the documentation in the new release.  Would you
mind sending me a description or script (off-list) that I could
convert to use the new stuff in the next release, which should help
out with memory?  We've done a lot to improve analysis of many outputs
at once, and in particularly for doing this in parallel.  I'd love to
add this as a worked example.

Here are a few using the new features in 2.4 (which are all in the
development branch -- everything's developed in the open) that might
show how we might be able to reduce memory overhead and speed up
overall computation time.

http://yt-project.org/docs/2.4/cookbook/calculating_information.html#time-series-analysis
http://yt-project.org/docs/2.4/advanced/parallel_computation.html#an-advanced-worked-example

> I just submitted another job asking for more nodes. I will let you know how
> that goes (in two days).

Cool.  :)

-Matt