[yt-users] Calculation of enclosed mass for a given radius

Latif latifne at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 06:57:51 PDT 2012

Hi Matt,
Many thanks!

> 1) You have to do the derived field before your pf is loaded; this
> will hopefully change at some point.  You're also using add_field here
> as would normally be done for a profile, but you're using it to define
> a new derived field.

Sorry, i did not explain it very well. Yes, you are very right one has to
add a new derived  field before loading a pf. I used add_field here as i
wanted to make use of it for computing profiles at the moment.

> 2) We have "CellMassMsun" and "CellMass" fields already -- which do
> what you're looking to do.  You should be able to do exactly what you
> are doing,

As you know "CellMass" is not computing the enclosed mass( it does not sum
up the mass with in a certian radius) . Prof.add_fields with accumulation
flag true computes the enclosed mass radial profile. What i want is to
store the computed enclosed mass in a new profile field or variable  so
that i can make use of it to compute other profiles like keplerian velocity
etc. At the moment i do not know how to store enlcosed mass. That is why  i
thought to add a new prof field for this purpose. Does it make sense?
Please let me know it is not clear.
Cheers
Latif

> prof.add_fields(["CellMass"], accumulation=True, weight=None)

which will sum from the low bins to the high bins.  I don't think you