[yt-users] Best way to load in halos?

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:52:43 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

The radius, even if somewhat arbitrary is a very useful quantity to have on
hand for a halo.  With the halo profiler, for example, the halo radius is
used to determine the maximum radius out to which radial profiling should
be done.  Without that, there's no good way to decide how far out radial
profiles should be taking.  Setting a constant value is generally not a
good idea, since it can vary a lot from situation to situation.  With the
halo profiler, you can then calculate virial mass and radius in a way that
also includes the baryons, something that the halo finder cannot do.  In
conclusion, I strongly support reading in a radius from a halo catalog.

Britton