[yt-users] Crash when iterating over a long list of FLASH outputs

Nathan Goldbaum goldbaum at ucolick.org
Tue Jan 17 17:49:18 PST 2012

Hi all,

I'm having a curious issue.  I'm trying to open a large number of FLASH parameter files, read in some vital statistics about each file, and then write out the data to a ascii table.

However, for some reason I'm finding that this crashes after 1020 data files have been opened. There's nothing special about the 1020th file since I can open it and inspect it interactively.  This may have something to do with me running this script on the lustre filesystem on Pleiades at NASA Ames.

My test script is pasted here:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/2039/

And a sample traceback is pasted here:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/2040/

It looks like the crash happens when yt tries to open the h5py handle for the data file.  It crashes as if the data file doesn't exist, even though it really does, I promise.  This seems to be related to an h5py issue that John ZuHone noticed back in July:

http://lists.spacepope.org/htdig.cgi/yt-users-spacepope.org/2011-July/001703.html

Adding 'del pf._handle' to the end of my loop does not fix the issue.

Thanks for your help with this!

Nathan Goldbaum
Graduate Student
Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCSC