[yt-users] error launching yt: __gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 17 08:12:55 PST 2012

Hi JC,

I have a Mac, but I don't see those errors with the latest tip.  I
installed yt with install_script sometime in September with gcc-4.2.  It
has matplotlib v1.0.0 installed.

Maybe we can isolate this error to a particular import or program.

Does ipython load fine?
Can you manually import yt.mods in a python session?

Could you check whether a standalone python instance fails with the same
error when you do

import matplotlib
import h5py
import numpy

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,
John

On 01/17/2012 09:19 AM, Jean-Claude Passy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using the install script with the regular gcc-4.2 as suggested:

> [ 9:12:39] Obiwan:$ CC --version
> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
>
> It is so frustrating... yt was working great on my laptop a couple of
> months ago and I did not use it until 2 days ago, mainly to check that I
> was ready for the workshop. May be this shows that one should not spend
> a single week without using yt! ;-)
>
> Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate.
> JC
>

> On 16/01/12 21:01, Casey W. Stark wrote:
>> I agree, it sounds like a gcc build issue. Which version did you build
>> against JC?
>>
>> It might take me a while to get to it, but I can try to reproduce it
>> this week.
>>
>> Best,
>> Casey
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com
>> <mailto:matthewturk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi JC,
>>
>>     Unfortunately I'm not really sure -- I no longer have a Mac to test
>>     against, and this error looks like some deep compilation bug, likely
>>     with matplotlib. It might be something about your installation (did
>>     you use the install script? were you using a non-standard GCC? etc)
>>     but I'm not really sure.
>>
>>     Anyone else out there, with a Mac, who might be able to give JC a
>>     pointer?
>>
>>     -Matt
>>
>>     On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Jean-Claude Passy
>>     <jcpassy at gmail.com <mailto:jcpassy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     > Hey,
>>     >
>>     > unfortunately, it does not fix the thing...
>>     > Any other idea?
>>     >
>>     > Thanks,
>>     >
>>     > JC
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > On 15/01/12 13:30, Matthew Turk wrote:
>>     >>
>>     >> Hi JC,
>>     >>
>>     >> My guess is that this is related to using the OSX backend for
>>     >> Matplotlib. If you can, could you set (in ~/.matplotlibrc) the
>>     >> variable "backend" to be "Agg" it might fix it.
>>     >>
>>     >> -Matt
>>     >>
>>     >> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Jean-Claude
>>     Passy<jcpassy at gmail.com <mailto:jcpassy at gmail.com>>
>>     >> wrote:
>>     >>>
>>     >>> Hi all,
>>     >>>
>>     >>> I am encountering a weird error when trying to execute
>>     yt-unstable on my
>>     >>> MacBook Pro (10.6.8):
>>     >>>
> [...]

John Wise
Assistant Professor of Physics
Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech