[yt-users] Velocity dispersion profile

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 13:14:03 PST 2012

Yes, adding a direct stddev would be nice (and would not be too much
overhead) but I think this can be done in two passes.

Pass one: calculate the average value.  This would be a standard profile.
Pass two: set_field_parameter of the average value as a function of
whatever.  Inside your new derived field, calculate the delta between
the average and the actual field value.  Take average of this new
derived field.

It's probably a better idea to just add stddev directly.  There is an
extant algorithm for doing a one-pass stddev that is robust against
round-off errors; I would be happy to help someone out to add that to
the code.

-Matt