[yt-users] Bad grid edges in particle fields

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 04:15:36 PST 2012

Hi Casey,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Casey W. Stark <caseywstark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> This is a projection of the Dark_Matter_Density field from the initial
> output of a standard enzo cosmological run with just 2 cores. It looks like
> something is going wrong on the grid boundaries. This occurs for projections
> and slices, but only for gridded particle data. The gas density looks fine.
> It seems to occur at every grid boundary, which I tested by increasing the
> number of cores (so the same number of grids).

This is "real" in the sense that what you're seeing *is* in the data,
but in fact is not a problem in the simulation.  The grid edges show
up because particles *should* but *cannot* be interpolated across
these boundaries during yt, and in Enzo to get them to be interpolated
at the output time an exchange of boundary conditions has to occur.
Adding this to Enzo shouldn't be hard; adding it to yt might be
possible if you extend your other patch to work with smoothed covering
grids and validate spatial of at least one or two zones.

-Matt