[yt-users] yt on kraken

David Collins dcollins at physics.ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 22 15:38:56 PST 2012

> I ended up starting an interactive job on a compute node.  The import still
> took about 10 minutes.  It finally did finish importing though.

It doesn't surprise me that it still took that long even on an
interactive node.  The problem isn't the node but the disk, and 100%
of the disks on Kraken are 100% terrible and getting worse.

I almost always shuffle my stuff to Nautilus, if you have an account
there.  Using hpss and/or htar to transfer files between the two is
really fast (limited only by Kraken's disk) you can get dozens of Gb
in minutes.  (If they're small sets, you can use the home disk to
transfer.)

> Nathan Goldbaum
> Graduate Student
> Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCSC
> goldbaum at ucolick.org
> http://www.ucolick.org/~goldbaum
>
> On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Geoffrey So wrote:
>
> I would recommend if possible getting an interactive node to try yt on.
>  I've seen many users abuse the login node of Kraken, running multiple jobs,
> and sometimes it's multiple users at the same time that slows the node down.
>  Have you tried another login node of Kraken, since there's 11 to choose
> from.
>
> If I do >top and see many jobs running I usually just switch,
>
> ssh -Y krakenpf1
>
> you can do this all the way to krakenpf11
>
> From
> G.S.
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> That's on the high side a little, but, sadly, not the maximum I've ever
>> waited.
>>
>> Britton
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <goldbaum at ucolick.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Britton,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been waiting for more than 10 minutes
>>> now and it still hasn't finished the import - does that seem excessive?
>>>
>>> Nathan Goldbaum
>>> Graduate Student
>>> Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCSC
>>> goldbaum at ucolick.org
>>> http://www.ucolick.org/~goldbaum
>>>
>>> On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Britton Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Nathan,
>>>
>>> It's most likely not hanging, but working on the import.  The filesystem
>>> on Kraken can be incredibly slow at times.  If you're only waiting a minute
>>> or so, you will probably need to give it a bit longer.
>>>
>>> Britton

>>> !DSPAM:10175,4f456a0711289135847791!

> !DSPAM:10175,4f456ff71280950242198!
>

> !DSPAM:10175,4f456ff71280950242198!