[yt-users] YT analysis questions: cylindrical profile and RMS velocity

Jun-Hwan Choi jhchoi at pa.uky.edu
Sat Feb 4 10:46:42 PST 2012

Hi YT users,

I have two questions on the YT analysis:

First, I would like to make profiles (mass, angular momentum) in the
cylindrical coordinate.
In other world, the profiles depend on r_xy (x-y is the cylinder plane).
I define disk object and compute Profile as follow:
> disk = pf.h.disk(center, [0, 0, -1], (100., 'pc'), (1., 'pc'))
> profile = BinnedProfile1D(disk, 50, 'Radius', smallest_bin, largest_bin,
lazy_reader=True)
,but I find that Radius is for x,y, and z distance.
Can I get the cylindrical profile, if I simply make derived field for
RadiusXY and replace Radius?
And does there any RadiusXY kind of field exist?

Second, I would like to compute the RMS velocity in my disk.
However, I would like to compute RMS velocity according to local mean
velocity (e.g. mean velocity inside 0.1 pc sphere center on a given
position), instead of compute according to global mean velocity.
Is there a routine (or way) to compute the local mean velocity in YT and
compute RMS of it?
I found that some papers with Enzo simulation compute the RMS velocity
(such as Kitsuk et al 2007 and Wise et al 2008 although I am not sure
whether they use YT or not).

Thank you in advance,
Junhwan Choi

Jun-Hwan Choi, Ph.D.
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Kentucky
Tel: (859) 897-6737        Fax: (859) 323-2846
Email: jhchoi at pa.uky.edu   URL: http://www.pa.uky.edu/~jhchoi