[yt-users] Star Projections

Munier Azzam Salem msalem at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Dec 4 18:22:48 PST 2012

Hi Stephen,

      Thanks for the response. I ran your script on several of the files.
For some of them it gave me an output like this:
*
*
*creation_time is probably not in this simulation*
*From 565 grids, 0 have stars, and 565 have no particles.*

BUT for others the output was like

*From 557 grids, 557 have stars, and 0 have no particles.*

And odder still, the order of yes's and no's is not contiguous. I think
this may be an issue with my run itself?

          thanks,
              Munier

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:

> Hi Munier,
>
> >   File
> >
> "/share/home/01686/msalem/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg/yt/data_objects/field_info_container.py",
> > line 412, in __call__
> >     raise NeedsDataField(doesnt_have)
> > yt.data_objects.field_info_container.NeedsDataField: (['creation_time'])
> >
> >      Is anyone aware of what the issue may be? I'm wondering if enzo
> itself
> > is not printing something yt needs here.
>
> This last bit of your error message says what's going on - yt is
> trying to access the 'creation_time' particle field and can't find it.
> There are a few reasons for this - either the snapshot you're using
> has no stars, has only a few stars in a few grids and yt isn't finding
> it automatically, or perhaps the snapshot has a grid with no particles
> at all. All are easy to test with this simple example script:
>
> pf = load('snapshot')
> all_fields = set(pf.h.derived_field_list + pf.h.field_list)
>
> if 'creation_time' not in all_fields:
>     print "creation_time is probably not in this simulation"
>
> ct_yes = 0
> ct_no = 0
> for g in pf.h.grids:
>     try:
>         ct = g['creation_time']
>         ct_yes+=1
>     except:
>         ct_no += 1
>
> print "From %d grids, %d have stars, and %d have no particles." %
> (ct_yes + ct_no, ct_yes, ct_no)
>
> Can you run this script (modified for your situation) and report back,
> please?
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Stephen Skory