[yt-users] SciPy and YT problem

Michael Kuhlen mqk at astro.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 25 17:11:56 PDT 2012

Hi Roberto

This is one reason why I typically install yt manually using the
system's python installation, instead of running the yt install
script. It's really quite straightforward, just go to $YTDIR/ and do
"python ./setup.py build", followed by "python ./setup.py install
--prefix=$HOME/local", and then make sure that your PYTHONPATH
environment variable includes $HOME/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages.
Of course with this approach you also have to install all the other
yt-dependencies using you system's python (using apt-get,
easy_install, pip, or whatever). If you decide to go down this route
you may want to start from scratch with your yt installation, since if
you did run the yt install script then it probably installed all those
packages with the yt-provided python. YMMV.

Apologies to the yt dev's if I'm giving non-standard recommendations
here, but this works for me.

Mike

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM, j s oishi <jsoishi at gmail.com> wrote:
> The libraries may be, but the headers necessary to build them probably are
> not. If you're on ubuntu, you may need to install the blas-dev package or
> whatever it may be called. Or you could build Blas and atlas from sources.
> This difficulty with building is why we avoid shipping scipy with yt. Sorry
> it's such a pain!
>
> I am away from my computer, so I am afraid I can't help further.
>
> On Aug 25, 2012 11:11 AM, "trobolo dinni" <trobolo.trobolo.dinni5 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> I already tried that way and I get the same error about Alias and Blas
>> libraries missing (attached)...
>> My question is: since SciPy works fine with the system python, don't those
>> libraries should be already in the system?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>                 Roberto
>>

>> 2012/8/25 j s oishi <jsoishi at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Hi Roberto,
>>>
>>> Try activating yt and then typing
>>>
>>> pip install scipy
>>>
>>> I am not sure that will work, but if it does, scipy will certainly be in
>>> the right place.
>>>
>>> Jeff

*  Dr. Michael Kuhlen              Theoretical Astrophysics Center  *
*  email: mqk at astro.berkeley.edu   UC Berkeley                      *
*  cell phone: (831) 588-1468      B-116 Hearst Field Annex # 3411  *
*  skype username: mikekuhlen      Berkeley, CA 94720               *