[yt-users] SciPy and YT problem

roberto iaconi robertoiaconi at yahoo.it
Sat Aug 25 07:38:42 PDT 2012

Dear YT users,

I have a problem in installing the SciPy library when using YT python, what happens is that:

-when installing from packages, also after activating yt (i.e. through the command sudo apt-get install python-scipy) I get the confirmation that SciPy is correctly installed but i cannot
import it in YT python, since probably the installation is connected to
the system python instead.
-when installing from source (by downloading the packages) I get a lot of
errors concerning missing libraries (mainly blas and atlas).
I installed them and added the paths to a "site.cfg" file, but I am still getting the same error.

Also, I appended the system SciPy path through the sys.path.append()
function, in this way I can succesfully import SciPy, but I cannot
import any sublibrary such as SciPy.optimize (which is the one I particularly need).

By browsing the YT Mailing List I found a user with a similar problem
(http://lists.spacepope.org/htdig.cgi/yt-users-spacepope.org/2011-July/001694.html), but there are no suggestions in reply.

I would like to ask if there is a way to get SciPy installed under YT or make it available to be included.

Cheers,
                Roberto