[yt-users] Light Cone + All Sky

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:15:04 PDT 2012

Hi Rick and Britton,

There are three different HEALpix renderers.  Right now, they're using
mostly for making all-sky projections and escape fraction
calculations, but I don't see why they can't be repurposed for
stacking different outputs.  You will probably have to do some manual
work.

The first is an interpolation-based healpix volume walker; this is in
both the current and stable trees in the main repository.  This takes
a fixed Npix and walks outward, sampling and integrating using a
trilinear interpolation inside each cell.  This is what the example on
the main page uses, but it does not (right now) have an explicit
r_inner, only an r_outer.  The return value is an array corresponding
to the accumulated values at each pixel.

The second is an adaptive ray tracing algorithm, which splits up at
some covering fraction.  For a long time this was in the repository,
but I've resisted documenting it because it used to lose rays
occasionally.  I believe I've fixed that, but I haven't gotten back
around to testing it.  It also suffers from a lack of visualization
mechanisms.

The final one is in the volume rendering refactor branch, slated to be
merged into tip of development sometime in the next month or so.  This
branch completely rewrote all of the samplers so that they're in C and
threaded with OpenMP, and Sam added things like opacity and hard
surfaces and directional lighting.  It also includes a
non-interpolating, rewritten HEALpix renderer (and a from-scratch
aitoff projection implementation which is quite fast) that has both an
r_inner and r_outer.  (The r_inner, it turns out, is necessary since
we don't perform sub-cell interpolation.)  This method also accepts
rotation vectors, which could be useful for what you're looking at.
The repository is at https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt-refactor ,
and if you wnat the volume_refactor stuff I'd recommend pulling with
"hg pull -B volume_refactor
https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt-refactor" so that you get the
bookmark, which will track that head.

I'd be happy to provide more information about these methods, if you
want to use them.  I think we've mostly shied away from the
HEALpix-style light cones because the datasets we've worked with so
far have been relatively small compared to the hubble volume, so
performing the stack-and-shift along an orthogonal LOS has been
sufficient.  (I don't know much about the HEALpix-based ones, but I
can only imagine they need data large enough that it subtends a good
fraction of the sky.)  It might also help if you could describe a bit
more in detail the algorithm you're looking to implement, and perhaps
if it needs that third type we can accelerate merging the refactor
into tip?  Also, I don't see why the light cone method itself couldn't
use one of these, since when it all comes down to brass tacks, we're
just stacking arrays anyway, and the output from the HEALpix camera
would stack just as nicely.

Let me know if one of these in particular sticks out, or if you've got
more ideas or questions!

Thanks,

Matt