[yt-users] multi-field volume projection?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 02:29:35 PDT 2011

Stephen,

Sam is right -- as of right now you cannot, for instance, have a
volume rendering blend a "jet" colormap for density with a "hot"
colormap for temperature.  I don't think it makes much sense to expect
the ColorTransferFunction to return a "multi-field" image unless the
multiple fields were combined into a single field.  You can use
multiple fields in the generation of a single image, by weighting and
so on -- similar to how the PlanckTransferFunction works.  You can
also project multiple fields simultaneously in a volume rendering with
the ProjectionTransferFunction.  This will give you an image whose
first channel is one field, second is another, for instance.  Then you
can either blend these as two independent channels together, with a
function such as or similar to multi_image_composite, or create a 2D
colormap and use that.

-Matt