[yt-users] Variance in phase/profiles

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:01:42 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

The best I have been able to do for this is to manually bin up a 3d data
object with the cut_region function and then do the calculation myself bin
by bin.
For example, if you have a sphere, you can do
new_sphere = sphere.cut_region(['grid["Temperature"] > 1e5',
'grid["Temperature"] < 1e6'])
That'll give you access to all the cells within that bin for a variance
calculation.  Note the quotes around those expressions.  The cuts are
applied in yt using eval functions.

This will work, but it's slow and requires you to do a lot by hand.

Britton