[yt-users] volume rendering rotate

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:43:11 PST 2011

Hi Stella,

Sorry to hear you're encountering some problems with the camera-moving
code.  I, too, recently made movies using the "rotate" function and the
camera interface, but I didn't have any issues with it.  Like Britton, I
do not specify a rotation vector in the rotate call, and it uses the
"north vector" (as specified in the camera call) as the axis of
rotation.  So try switching your "rotation vector" out of your rotation
call, and into your "north vector" in the camera call.  That might fix it.

If that does not fix it, can you tell me what version of yt you're
using, so I can try to rerun my script with whatever version you're
using and reproduce your error?  You can figure out your version by
typing "yt instinfo" at a command line, and it should return something like:

The current version of the code is:

---
2317668ec945 (yt) tip

                                                                 Cameron
---

For reference, my code operates like yours seems to:

# Take the snapshot
cam = Camera(c1, vec1, start_width, (N,N), transfer_function=ptf,
              pf=pf, use_kd=False, north_vector=vec2,
              tree_type='domain', no_ghost=False, volume=hv_big)

# create hdf5 file with all projection data
f = h5py.File(filename + "_project.h5", "w")

frameid = 0

# Rotate 1
for i, image in enumerate(cam.rotation(2*na.pi, 180)):
     f.create_dataset("/frame%04i" % frameid, data=image)
     print "ROTATE1 #: %04i, frame #: %04i" % (i, frameid)
     frameid += 1

f.close()

# open hdf5 file with all data
f = h5py.File(filename + "_project.h5", "r")

# Render projections
for frameid in frame_range:
     im = f["/frame%04i" % frameid][:]
     im = np.log10(im)
     bm = iw.write_image(im, "%s_frame%04i.png" % (filename, frameid),
cmap_name='kamae',
                         color_bounds=(-32,-23))
f.close()

---