[yt-users] Fwd: Readline service not available

Casey W. Stark caseywstark at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:50:52 PDT 2011

Hi Chao.

Are you certain that this command installed readline to your yt python
environment? I'm not certain how pip determines which python site-packages
to install to, but I think it depends on PYTHONPATH/PYTHONHOME. Anyone know
about this?

I recommend...

$ source /path/to/yt/bin/activate
$ pip install readline

You can check that it installed to the right place by navigating to
/path/to/yt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ and seeing if the readline package
is there. If it is there and still doesn't work, then this is really
weird...

Either way, we should fix this line of the docs because it assumes yt is
installed to ~/yt and it doesn't say anything about setting env vars or
using activate. Something like /path/to/yt?

Best,
Casey