[yt-users] Installing yt without hg

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 19:00:20 PST 2011

Hi Elizabeth, and everyone else,

A while ago there was some talk of doing a monolithic install.  This
would solve the problem of getting the dependency files (which Dave
has pretty easily solved; in fact, that's not usually the hard part.)
The second issue is not directly related to this, which is that
distribute and pip are based on the idea of having network access.

Right now the line "easy_install-2.7 pip" is the one causing problems,
which can easily be remedied by adding a pip tarball to the install
dependency list.  The second issue is that occasionally distribute
will try to hit the network.  This will require changes to the file
setup.py in yt, which I have not yet experimented which but which I
outlined in my email to Dave.

Moving forward, a monolithic tarball of dependencies is something I
would strongly support; this would need to be managed by someone other
than me, cryptographically signed, and would contain everything.  It
would still require the modifications I outlined above to the setup.py
script.

If someone would like to take up this project, it would definitely be
welcomed!  I could provide input as could any other interested
parties.

-Matt