[yt-users] Some questions about plot and load

Chao Shi shichao116 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 09:55:50 PST 2011

Hi everyone. I followed the yt Orientation Session and tried to load and
plot parameter file moving7_0010 that comes with yt but encounter some
errors.

First I entered ~/yt-x86_64/bin where I can invoke yt by ./yt. The command
"./yt stats ~/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg/tests/DD0010/moving7_0010"  and "./yt
load ~/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg/tests/DD0010/moving7_0010" works. Then I plotted
the file by typing "./yt plot
~/yt-x86_64/src/yt-hg/tests/DD0010/moving7_0010". Then it showed at the
last three lines that three .png files corresponding to density slices on
x,y,z directions have been saved to ./frames. How can I make the image come
out automatically after they were plotted?

Then I tried to do this in python interpreter, ipython interface, and iyt
respectively. In python and ipython, I first import yt by typing "from
yt.mods import *", and then tried to load and plot the file moving7_0010.
While I can load the file successfully, the interpreter told me that "plot"
is not defined. So is the command "stats".  However in iyt interface, load
and plot are both ok but stats is not defined.

I don't know whether such "errors" are normal or that I still miss some
packages. All I know now is that yt is a library that can loaded in
python. Right now I'm reading the tutorial of Python but haven't reach that
far so I wonder if someone could explain a little bit about the relation
between python, ipython, yt and iyt.  Thanks very much!

Chao