[yt-users] Readline service not available

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 17:30:50 PDT 2011

Hi Chao,

Welcome to yt! My apologies for this. By using the install script, you
get a complete python environment that is completely isolated from
your system. This means that you can be assured if something goes
wrong with the yt install, you haven't touched your system python at
all. As it happens, we just fixed this problem a few days ago, and it
hasn't propagated to the stable branch yet. Could you try to install
from the development branch, by downloading the install script from

$ wget http://hg.yt-project.org/yt/raw/yt/doc/install_script.sh
$ bash install_script.sh

instead? This should fix your problem straight away. As it happens,
Python 2.7.1 won't work on Ubuntu 11.10 very well at all. In the mean
time, I will migrate the updated install script from the development
branch to the stable branch.

You can just delete the entire yt directory that you already
installed, and it will not interfere with anything.

Again, welcome to yt!

Jeff