[yt-users] Covering Fraction / Solid angle

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:27:08 PDT 2011

Hi Libby,

There are a couple ways to do this that come to mind right away.
Unfortunately, calculating the exact solid angle that a cell subtends
can be a bit tricky, but otherwise this is precisely the kind of
analysis yt is designed to do.

1) Bin based on the solid angle, approximating this by, for instance,
assuming that the cell is hit face on such that the area that it
covers is dx^2.  (This assumes cubical cells, though.)
2) Actually integrate out and accumulate the values you are interested
in.  This would require using the HEALpix camera, which is described
here http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/visualizing/volume_rendering.html and
on the blog.  You could, for instance, take just a
ProjectionTransferFunction and apply that to an integration of a field
that has cutoffs based on the solid angle.  The HEALpix camera
performs an all-sky integration calculated from a central point; this
can be used for quantitative integration and analysis of field values.

There may be other ways, though -- maybe somebody else has some other ideas?

-Matt