[yt-users] Volume Rendering and Weighted Fields

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:50:58 PDT 2011

Hi John,

Sam's right that you could set up a derived field to do this.  I
believe, however, that the functionality is already in the existing
volume rendering code.  Sam's way may be easier.

You should be able to set up a set of multiple fields in your Camera
object when you create it.  Then, construct a
MultiVariateTransferFunction.  Add on a field table that executes a
projection, similar to the ProjectionTransferFunction.  Then simply
set the weight_field value of your new transfer function to be equal
to the field id of the weighting field; in this case it might be "0"
for the main field, "1" for the weighting field.

But, much like the projections, this should be easier -- right now I
have been taking a lot of off-axis averages and projections, and I
usually use Sam's method.  But there should be shortcuts and whatnot
for this.

Best,

Matt