[yt-users] halos

gso at physics.ucsd.edu gso at physics.ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 4 12:55:49 PST 2011

When working with Robert's data in his readable but not write-able
directories, I usually store the data this way:

for i in range(1, 5, 1):
    pf = load(basename[i]+filename[i], storage_filename =filename[i]+".yt")

    halo_list = parallelHF(pf, threshold=80.0, dm_only=True, resize=False,
        rearrange=True, safety=1.5, premerge=True)

    halo_list.write_out(filename[i]+"ParallelHopAnalysis.out")

the storage_filename I can specify so the .yt file can be in another
directory than where the data sits, and the
filename[i]+"ParallelHopAnalysis.out" lets me output to another directory
than where the data sits... worked for me on Triton at least.

Stephen, I would like to be able to calculate the a, b, c in the eqn of an
ellipsoid for the stars/dm particles in a Halo, and see how much mass is
in particles, and how much is in baryons.  If I have the prescription to
do the calculation, can this be easily achieved if I have access to the
halo data if it was stored as binary in the .yt file?  Or would this be
better done while it is still  in memory with the halo profiler running?

From
G.S.