[yt-users] Oblique slices

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Jun 20 11:19:47 PDT 2011

Hi Carolyn,

This is a normal behavior of oblique slices.  Recall what a slice
is--the values of a plane slicing through the dataset.  When you perform
a slice that isn't aligned with one of the axis directions like x, y, or
z, you get these artifacts as the slicing plane cuts through different
'layers' of the 3D grid.  It effectively behaves like a step function as
it steps depthwise through these grid cells.

If you want to avoid this behavior, I recommend using off-axis
projection, which is basically like a slice, but thicker, so it covers
multiple grid cells depthwise and sums these up, thereby minimizing this
step function behavior.

Cameron