[yt-users] Accessing particle_density in a Castro pure nbody simulation

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:57:18 PDT 2011

Hi Steffen,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Steffen Klemer <moh at gmx.org> wrote:
> Hey Matt,
>
>> The second issue is that of units.
>
> Aaaahhhh... ...found this as well after checking this a bit more.
> Sometimes it's a bit hard to not get confused by the yt codebase :-)

We have tried to separate it into fundamental submodules, to ease this
transition.  Like many scientific codes it has grown organically, but
we have actively tried to organize it in a logical way.  That being
said, we would be eager to hear your suggestions for improving the
organization, so please feel free to either issue pull requests from
your fork on BitBucket or fill out a ticket.

> I couldn't imagine that yt tries to convert the result into the right
> units... ...but it's a nice feature!! :-)

Thanks.  One of the principal ideas behind yt has been to address
physically-relevant quantities, rather than simulation quantities.
(Not that the latter isn't available, however.)

>> http://hg.enzotools.org/yt/issue/281/nyx-units-are-incorrect
>>
>> If you wouldn't mind, it'd be very helpful if you could fill in a bit
>> about what you know -- from a pragmatic point of view -- about the
>> units in that ticket.
>
>  For the Particle-Plotfiles it is:
>
> x,y,z in MPc
> velocities in km/s/a (where a is the comoving a)
> masses in M_{\sun}

Excellent!  I have spoken to Ann about this, and she's preparing a
more comprehensive solution.  For now I will put this in.  For
clarification, to translate from the units in the plotfile to cgs, it
would be multiplication by 10^4 * (current scale factor), right?

Thanks very much,

Matt