[yt-users] Tiled projections

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:17:32 PDT 2011

Hi Brian,

Great, glad to hear it.

I'm a bit befuddled as to why projections have this issue so often.
The file format has been static for years; it seems to show up more
frequently with parallel runs, but not for any reason I can see
immediately.  Sam pointed out on IRC that sometimes the grid structure
changes -- at one point, the hash of the parameter file (pf._hash())
was used as a verification method to ensure that a .yt file
corresponded to the current hierarchy/pf, but that got removed at some
point.  (Great quick project for somebody to put back in!)

I'm also sort of coming around on the idea of implicit saving of
information.  The biggest simulations we use, where saving the
hierarchy info, are Enzo simulations; in the medium-term future, they
will be storing HDF5 versions of everything yt stores in the HDF5 file
(to avoid re-parsing the text .hierarchy.)  The other codes don't rely
as much on the storing of information between runs, to my
understanding.  So it's not entirely clear to me that the .yt file is
any longer that terribly well-motivated *anyway*.

Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble, but I'm glad to hear it works.  If
you figure out how it got corrupted, I'd be eager to hear.

-Matt

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Brian Crosby <crosby.bd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Deleting the .yt files worked perfectly, thanks for the help!
>
> -Brian
>
> On Jul 26, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Matthew Turk wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> It's possible that if the .yt file was generated a long time ago that
>> there has been some incompatibility in the format.  Can you move the
>> .yt file out of the way and try again?
>>
>> That being said, this looks familiar ... by any chance is there
>> anything odd about the data, maybe a change in row/column major
>> ordering?  What precision- and particles- arguments are you using in
>> your makefile?
>>
>> -Matt
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Brian Crosby <crosby.bd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I was making some projections using the YT module installed on Nautilus and
>>> encountered an odd issue:  The projection is broken up and appears to be
>>> sort of tiled and jumbled around.  You can see the result
>>> here: http://galactica.icer.msu.edu/~bcrosby/data/1024box/images/RedshiftOutput0009_Projection_z_particle_density.png
>>> It looks similar to problems that arise from off-axis projections, but this
>>> projections are straight down the axis.  I'm puzzled about what would be
>>> causing this, as the same script produced normal, smooth images earlier.
>>>  Here's the plotting call that I used:
>>>                 fn = "RD%04i/RedshiftOutput%04i" %(fnum,fnum)
>>>                 pf = load(fn)
>>>                 pc = PlotCollection(pf, center=[0.5,0.5,0.5])
>>>                 for axis in range(3):
>>>                         p = pc.add_projection("particle_density",axis)
>>> Any clues as to what might be going on?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian