[yt-users] Stars on volume rendering

John Wise jwise at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Jan 6 08:14:49 PST 2011

Hi Libby,

I'm afraid that there isn't a good solution for rendering stars, at
least to my knowledge!

You can add them as pixels after you've determined the pixel numbers (as
in Andrew's email) of the particles with the splat_points() routine in
the image_writer module.

I wrote my own stand-alone splatter to put Gaussian splats for
particles, but I never incorporated it into yt.  I meant to a few months
back when I wrote it but never did!  It will produce these types of splats

http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~jwise/research/GalaxyBirth_files/combine.png

I had to manually blend the gas volume rendering and star splats
afterwards to produce that image.

I hope I can make something that looks as good as partiview soon.  This
is the same dataset but with partiview.

http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~jwise/research/GalaxyBirth_files/stars_only.png

I'll see if I can make time (first I have to find the code!) to
incorporate my splatter into yt.

John