[yt-users] Colorbar and labels on volume rendered images

Chris Malone chris.m.malone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:28:51 PST 2011

Hi Libby,

I'm not entirely sure what is going on here.  Which changeset are you
using?  I have the most recent, and I indeed see the
yt.utilities.amr_utils.simple_writing method whose non-existence it is
complaining about.

To be more precise, is the freetype_writer included in your
yt/utilities/amr_utils.pyx?

[cmalone at xrb yt-hg]$ tail -1 yt/utilities/amr_utils.pyx
include "_amr_utils/freetype_writer.pyx"

Chris

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Elizabeth Harper-Clark <
h-clark at cita.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I found the annotate_image option within yt.visualization.image_writer but
> I am missing something:
>
> *Script*:
>
> from yt.mods import *
>
> from matplotlib import pylab
> import numpy as na
> from yt.visualization.image_writer import *
>
> output_file = "aaWoC/%s/MovieFrame_%04i"
>
> for i in range(0,189):
>     print "Merging", i
>     image1 = pylab.imread("aaWoC/%s/3D3Movie_%04i.png" % (sys.argv[-1],i))
>     image2 = pylab.imread("aaWoC/%s/ColourBar.png" % sys.argv[-1])
>

>     new_image = na.concatenate([image1, image2], axis=1)
>     bitmap = write_image(new_image,output_file % (sys.argv[-1],i ))
>     annotate_image(bitmap, "Test", 50, 50)
>     write_bitmap(bitmap, output_file % (sys.argv[-1],i))
>

> *Error*:
>
> [h-clark at tpb5 my_scripts]$ python2.6 MergeImages.py GMCidresbig128a
> yt         INFO       2011-01-05 12:18:10,296 Loading plugins from
> /home/h-clark/.yt/my_plugins.py
> /home/h-clark/YT/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:833:
> UserWarning:  This call to matplotlib.use() has no effect
> because the the backend has already been chosen;
> matplotlib.use() must be called *before* pylab, matplotlib.pyplot,
> or matplotlib.backends is imported for the first time.
>
>   if warn: warnings.warn(_use_error_msg)
> Merging 0
> yt         INFO       2011-01-05 12:18:10,473 Using only channel 1 of
> supplied image
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "MergeImages.py", line 15, in <module>
>     annotate_image(bitmap, "Test", 50, 50)
>   File "/home/h-clark/YT/src/yt-hg/yt/visualization/image_writer.py", line
> 235, in annotate_image
>     au.simple_writing(font_path, 0, dpi, font_size, text, image, xpos,
> ypos)
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'simple_writing'
>

> ????
>
> Also is there a way to change font colour? (in vol rend background is black
> so I want text in white!). will text_args = {'color':'w'} work?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Libby
>

> On 5 January 2011 12:05, Elizabeth Harper-Clark <h-clark at cita.utoronto.ca>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Britton,
>>
>> Concatenating is working :-) now to work out labels......
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Libby
>>

>> On 5 January 2011 11:29, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It is possible to attach a colormap to a volume render image.  I can't
>>> quite remember how to do that.  If someone else could chime in on that, that
>>> would be great.
>>> If you already have the colorbar image you want, you can concatenate two
>>> image arrays easily and then write out the new image, provided the arrays
>>> are the same size in one direction.  With pylab, you can do something like
> [...]
>>> from yt.visualization.image_writer import write_bitmap
>>> image1 = pylab.imread(file1)
>>> image2 = pylab.imread(file2)