[yt-users] problem installing yt on kraken

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 05:29:39 PST 2011

Hi all,

Geoffrey -- Stephen's right Britton's experimenting with using shared
libraries as linked from Enzo, which isn't quite as applicable.  The
idea being that a static compilation is a great deal of work; most
(but not all) of the time spent in symbol loading is frontloaded to
the calculation, so a shared library loading can be efficient at
medium scales.  (Certainly more efficient that building statically, if
you look at wall clock time from the beginning of your time investment
to the end results.)

Additionally, I believe that the static compile option is now somewhat
easier than we previously thought, because in recent memory Python has
added the option to explicitly request the CXX compiler be used for
linking rather than LD or CC.  I tested this myself last month and I
was able to get a static build without too much trouble; I was not,
however, able to get "Freeze" to work on it, which would have frozen
the .py files into .c files, built a single executable containing all
the symbols, and all around been pretty rad.

Britton -- I've run a set of tests on triton and I was not able to
replicate the problem you see.  BUT, in doing so, I think I remember
seeing this with a hand-built installation a while back.  I believe
the solution is to set the environment variable LDFLAGS in the
install_script.sh.  There may be a more permanent way of doing this,
but I don't know what it is.  I set mine (back then) in my environment
variables, but you should be able to add this line:

LDFLAGS="-L${DEST_DIR}/lib"

just below the line YT_DIR="" in the installation script.  If you can
give that a shot, I think it might clear things up.  As a quick note,
you should avoid linking against the whatever/config/ directory,
because it contains the .a file, whereas you want the .so file which
is just under lib.

Good luck,

Matt