[yt-users] Introducing the yt Hub

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:14:04 PDT 2011

Greetings!

I am very excited to announce the yt Hub: http://hub.yt-project.org/.

The yt Hub is a gathering place for all things related to running,
analyzing, and
presenting astrophysical simulations.  Once upon a time, we had the
Enzotools
Barn, which was a place to share Enzo scripts unrelated to yt, including
hosting
of those scripts.  The Barn was a minor success, but had a very limited
scope
and a somewhat clunky user experience.

Now we have the yt Hub, where users can submit externally-hosted projects in
a variety of categories:
- yt scripts
- Analysis and visualization tools and utilities
- Simulation and data management
- Scripts for making figures from published papers
- News and announcements
- General astrophysical utilities

Users can create their own accounts and share anything they’ve created that
might
be useful to others.  Currently, the preferred submission method is to
create a
repository on bitbucket.org and then submit the link to that.  If you would
like to host
the repository for your contribution somewhere else, that’s fine, too.  The
forthcoming
2.2 release of yt will include a utility for automating the creation and
uploading of a
bitbucket.org repository as well as submitting that repository to the Hub.

In addition, users may also subscribe to email announcements, in which they
will
receive an email with any new submissions from the previous day.

Please, come check it out and contribute.  The site is brand new, so feel
free to send
feedback if you encounter any oddities or think of improvements.  The
primary goal of
yt has been to create a common analysis language for computational
astrophysicists
coming from different simulation codes.  We hope that the yt Hub will serve
as the
meeting place for the conversation.

Best regards,
Britton
Matt
and the rest of the yt development team.