[yt-users] installing yt on mac osx 10.6

Cameron Hummels chummels at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Apr 24 05:52:40 PDT 2011

Hi Matteo,

When you run the installer, there should be a few messages that it sends
to you when it finishes.  One of those messages describes how to add yt
to your new path and pythonpath environment variables.  If you follow
these instructions, it ought to set you straight.  So go ahead and rerun
the installer (don't worry, it won't break anything, or even take very
long to run now that it is already installed), and make sure to follow
the instructions it presents you with at the end.

That may fix your second error as well, but I'm not sure.  Give it a shot.

Cameron

On 04/24/2011 04:16 AM, Matteo Tomassetti wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm trying to install yt on the new Mac OSX 10.6, Snow Leopard and I
> have some problems. I run the install script modifying "wget" with
> "curl -o" and the installation went ok. But then, when I type "yt" in
> my terminal I receive the "command not found error". Moreover, if I go
> the the bin directory of yt and type ./yt I enter the program but,
> trying to run the first example I get this error message:
>
> this is what I type in the bin directory:
> ./yt halos src/yt-hg/tests/DD0010/moving7_0010/
>
> this is the error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./yt", line 9, in <module>
>    load_entry_point('yt==2.1stable', 'console_scripts', 'yt')()
>  File
> "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/command_line.py",
> line 961, in run_main
>    sys.exit(YT.main())
>  File
> "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py",
> line 257, in main
>    return self.cmd(args)
>  File
> "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py",
> line 280, in cmd
>    retval = self.onecmd(argv)
>  File
> "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py",
> line 412, in onecmd
>    return self._dispatch_cmd(handler, argv)
>  File
> "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py",
> line 1100, in _dispatch_cmd
>    return handler(argv[0], opts, *args)
>  File
> "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/command_line.py",
> line 387, in do_halos
>    hp = HP.HaloProfiler(arg,opts.halo_parameter_file,**kwargs)
> TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'radius'
>

> so my questions are:
> 1) how can I call yt in any shell without going to the bin directory
> of the program every time?
> 2) how can I fix the above bug?
>

> Please help me, yt looks really nice for what I have to do and I
> really don't want to miss the chance to use it!
>
> Cheers,
> M.

Cameron Hummels
PhD Candidate, Astronomy Department of Columbia University
Public Outreach Director, Astronomy Department of Columbia University
NASA IYA New York State Student Ambassador
http://outreach.astro.columbia.edu
PGP: 0x06F886E3