[yt-users] Running YT in Parallel on Nautilus

gso at physics.ucsd.edu gso at physics.ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:27:46 PDT 2011

I guess this would be a sort of followup to Stephen's email of running YT
on Kraken, here's what I figured out combined with what I got from the
system admin:

Installing mpi4py can be a little more troublesome because there's no
mpicc wrapper, you'll have to edit the mpi.cfg file and put in:

mpicc         = gcc -lmpi
mpicxx        = g++ -lmpi++ -lmpi

then do:
python setup.py build --mpi=<your mpi section name in mpi.cfg>
python setup.py install

(following http://mpi4py.scipy.org/docs/usrman/install.html)

next you'll have to set these environment variables, I have it in a
.bashrc and source it every time I log into Nautilus.

module swap mpt mpt/2.03
export MPI_SHARED_NEIGHBORHOOD=HOST

Last but not least, the system admin told me SGI identified a bug so that
mpi at least under python works for only up to 8 processors.  I've tried
16 and failed, tried 8 and ran, so I believe their story.

so under an interactive queue, you'll want to do something like:
mpiexec -np 8 python script.py --parallel
to run YT in parallel

Hope this helps

From
G.S.