[yt-users] h5py from install script on kraken

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:58:42 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Britton Smith <brittonsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen, nice job tracking that down.  This is just another example of how
> hard it is keep yt easily installable everywhere.
>
> Matt, that link refers to why we upgraded from h5py 1.2 to 1.3.  Do you
> remember why we upgraded hdf5 to 1.8?

To get symbolic link support in HDF5.

My reading of the bug is that it's not an issue if you use a shared
library HDF5, which only works with fortran-disabled.  The yt install
script should be installed a non-fortran, shared hdf5.  For what it's
worth, I've been using HDF5 1.8.6 and h5py 1.3.1 for a while without
trouble.  My guess is that cc on Kraken prefers static, to the
exclusion of the shared library.

-Matt