[yt-users] installing yt behind a firewall

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 06:25:56 PDT 2011

Hi Wolfram,

(Just before sending, I see Luigi just responded -- and it looks like
he has a solution he's used himself.  I'd say give that a go first, as
it looks much simpler.)

If I'm reading it correctly, I think that what's happened is that hg
has been installed two times, and the time on machine B is not
"relocatable."  This is a sticky point in the install script.  You may
be able to re-install mercurial on Machine A, which might work, but
then it'll likely have to be done again on Machine B ... argh.

It looks like it failed only at the very end of the script.  So let's
(for now) forget about Machine A, outside the firewall, and its
installation, and focus instead on Machine B.  I've created a bundle:

http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/yt-20110428.hg

This is a full copy of the repository, in mercurial format.  If you
could shuffle this over to Machine B, I think we can bootstrap your yt
installation like this:

# First get rid of the existing yt-hg directory
rm -rf /home/hlrb2/pr47bi/lu78tar3/yt/src/yt-hg
# Now we remake it
mkdir /home/hlrb2/pr47bi/lu78tar3/yt/src/yt-hg
cd /home/hlrb2/pr47bi/lu78tar3/yt/src/yt-hg
hg unbundle /path/to/your/yt-20110428.hg
hg up -C yt

and then re-run the install script, but you may have to comment out
line 489 as well, which is the pip installation (requires the
network.)

It's clear that there's a need for a monolithic, network-inaccessible
stack of dependencies that can be installed and relocated.  I will put
this on my todo list for next week; sorry that this has been
troublesome for you.

-Matt