[yt-users] installing yt behind a firewall

Wolfram Schmidt schmidt at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Apr 28 06:00:43 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

perhaps, others also have encountered the situation of having to install
yt on a machine with tight security measures that do not allow access to
the internet through its firewall.

An awkward, yet doable workaround is to mount the installation directory
via sshfs on a machine outside the firewall (let's call it machine B) to
download the required packages and to execute everything else on machine
A behind the firewall.

With the most recent yt version, I encountered a problem once the
installation of Python  was completed. Going back to machine B to
download the yt distribution, I found that the previously installed hg
wouldn't work. The last lines of the installation log (see attachment)
show that hg, running on machine B, attempts to use Python under the
path that applies to machine A (/home/hlrb2/pr47bi/lu78tar3/yt/...
instead of /home/raid2/schmidt/hlrb2/yt/...), athough I set DEST_DIR to
the (sshfs-mounted) path that applies to machine B. What should I do
about that?

Cheers,
Wolfram