[yt-users] Problems with RAMSES output

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 07:19:47 PDT 2011

Hi Matteo,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Matteo Tomassetti
<m.tomassetti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> after installing yt I tried to import the result of my Ramses simulation
> with this code:
> from yt.mods import *
> pf = load("output_00007/info_00007.txt")
> print pf.h.field_list
> print pf.h.derived_field_list
> but ... it doesn't work! My simulation consists only of DM for now and yt is
> searching for hydro files that of course does not exists. I just wanted to
> find DM halos but it seems that yt does not support this function for RAMSES
> data yet, does it?

Not yet -- unfortunately the RAMSES support right now could use some
help from external developers.  There's been some interest lately from
a couple different parties (including SamG, who I believe is
subscribed to the mailing list), and I would really like to encourage
you to help with this.  To get started, you can take a look at how the
RAMSES support is currently set up by taking a look inside
yt/frontends/ramses/ , specifically in the subdirectory
ramses_headers.  That's where Oliver Hahn's ramses++ routines are
stored; these contain particle IO, but this functionality has not been
exposed to yt -- exposing it can be done relatively straightforwardly,
and I'd be happy to give pointers and assistance with this.  A longer
term solution might be to abstract out the geometry selection in yt,
but that may be challenging for a first step into the project.

To get started with development, you can take a look at
http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/advanced/developing.html , where we walk
through how to set up your development environment.

I'd be eager to work with you on this, but unfortunately I can't take
the lead on this effort just now -- however, particle support for
RAMSES (along with speedups in a number of other areas!) is a priority
for yt, and I think that it would provide substantial benefit.  If
you're interested in this, I'd invite you to subscribe to the yt-dev
mailing list ( http://lists.spacepope.org/listinfo.cgi/yt-dev-spacepope.org
) where we can go over this in a bit more detail.  Adding particle IO
support to RAMSES may be quite easy, because I believe that the
routines that yt wants to use (such as region selection, spherical
selection, etc) are included in the ramses++ library.

Anyway, I'd be delighted if you could help out with this -- it's still
a work in progress, but because much of yt is developed on a
need-driven basis it has not yet bubbled to the top of the queue.
(For the most part, RAMSES analysis for myself and the other
developers has either been not a priority or has been focused on hydro
fields.)