[yt-users] installing yt on mac osx 10.6

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:33:10 PDT 2011

Hi Matteo,

* Matteo Tomassetti <m.tomassetti at gmail.com> [110425 06:14]:
> Hi Matthew,
> yes everything previously installed works again...

Great.

> I want to use yt with ramses output but first I wanna to test the installation.
>
> my problem with yt is this
>
> 1)  yt halos src/yt-hg/tests/DD0010/moving7_0010/

Ah!  Here's the issue.  If you strip the trailing forward slash, it may work.

That being said, the dataset above is a bit tiny.  I've put a couple slightly
larger ones here:

http://yt.enzotools.org/files/test_cosmo.zip
http://yt.enzotools.org/files/jhk.zip
http://yt.enzotools.org/files/rd0005.zip

The one that comes with the distribution is quite small, just enough to check
hydro consistency.

> yt : [ERROR    ] 2011-04-25 12:13:25,969 Couldn't figure out output type for
> src/yt-hg/tests/DD0010/moving7_0010/
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/bin/yt", line 9, in <module>
>     load_entry_point('yt==2.1stable', 'console_scripts', 'yt')()
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/
> command_line.py", line 960, in run_main
>     sys.exit(YT.main())
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py", line
> 257, in main
>     return self.cmd(args)
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py", line
> 280, in cmd
>     retval = self.onecmd(argv)
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py", line
> 412, in onecmd
>     return self._dispatch_cmd(handler, argv)
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/cmdln.py", line
> 1100, in _dispatch_cmd
>     return handler(argv[0], opts, *args)
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/utilities/
> command_line.py", line 386, in do_halos
>     hp = HP.HaloProfiler(arg,opts.halo_parameter_file,**kwargs)
>   File "/Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg/yt/analysis_modules/
> halo_profiler/multi_halo_profiler.py", line 229, in __init__
>     self.pf.h
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'h'
>

> 4)
> yt instinfo
>
> yt module located at:
>     /Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-hg
> The supplemental repositories are located at:
>     /Users/matteotomassetti/yt-i386/src/yt-supplemental
>
> The current version of the code is:
>
> ---
> 2ac5c7fd4421 (stable)
> ---
>
> This installation CAN be automatically updated.
> Updated successfully.
>
> I want everything work at this step because I know there'll be problems with
> RAMSES output!

Yes ... I've recently worked on some of the RAMSES components, but it will need
some development.  I have allotted some substantial time for this during the
latter half of May and the first half of June.

As it stands, it will likely load the data (and the load time has been sped up
by 2x or so) but the process of slicing and so forth is quite slow.  My goal is
to have it competitive with the speed of analysis for Enzo and Orion/CASTRO, and
I am actually optimistic I will deliver on this by the start of Summertime.  For
now I will however be happy to help out if you run into issues with it in the
interim.

Best,

Matt