[yt-users] parallel yt on ranger

Christine Simpson csimpson at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 7 14:20:47 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to run yt in parallel on ranger.  I gather from previous
messages to this list that others have had issues in the past, but I
haven't been able to find something that works from those posts.

I'm trying to run a test script that does a simple projection.

First I tried this (from the yt docs):

ibrun mpirun -np 8 python2.7 test_parallel_yt.py --parallel

I got this output in the output file:
TACC: Setting memory limits for job 1896644 to unlimited KB
TACC: Dumping job script:
#  Submit this script using the "qsub" command.
#  Use the "qstat" command to check the status of a job.
#
#$-l h_rt=00:05:00
#$-pe 8way 16
#$-N test_parallel_yt
#$-o $JOB_NAME.o$JOB_ID
#$-q development
#$-M csimpson at astro.columbia.edu
#$-m be
#$-V
#$-cwd

ibrun mpirun -np 8 python2.7 test_parallel_yt.py --parallel

TACC: Done.
TACC: Starting up job 1896644
TACC: Setting up parallel environment for MVAPICH ssh-based mpirun.
TACC: Setup complete. Running job script.
TACC: starting parallel tasks...
Warning: Command line arguments for program should be given
after the program name.  Assuming that test_parallel_yt.py is a
command line argument for the program.
[...]
after the program name.  Assuming that --parallel is a
command line argument for the program.
Missing: program name
Program python2.7 either does not exist, is not
executable, or is an erroneous argument to mpirun.
Warning: Command line arguments for program should be given
after the program name.  Assuming that --parallel is a
command line argument for the program.
TACC: MPI job exited with code: 1
TACC: Shutting down parallel environment.
TACC: Shutdown complete. Exiting.
TACC: Cleaning up after job: 1896644
TACC: Done.

I also tried this:

ibrun mpi4py -np 8 python2.7 test_parallel_yt.py --parallel

and got this output:
TACC: Setting memory limits for job 1896674 to unlimited KB
TACC: Dumping job script:
#!/bin/sh
#
#$-M csimpson at astro.columbia.edu
#$-m be
#$-V
#$-cwd

ibrun mpi4py -np 8 python2.7 test_parallel_yt.py --parallel

TACC: Done.
TACC: Starting up job 1896674
TACC: Setting up parallel environment for MVAPICH ssh-based mpirun.
TACC: Setup complete. Running job script.
TACC: starting parallel tasks...
TACC: MPI job exited with code: 1
TACC: Shutting down parallel environment.
TACC: Shutdown complete. Exiting.
TACC: Cleaning up after job: 1896674
TACC: Done.

Any ideas?  I guess in the first instance it is not finding python, but
the test script I run works fine on the command line and doing -V should
import the same environment settings, right?  I guess in the second
instance I'm using the wrong mpi call.  I found info on that call in
some old posts to the email list.

Christine