[yt-users] volume rendering

Maike Schmidt maikeschmidt2 at gmx.de
Tue Apr 5 08:34:10 PDT 2011

Hi together,

I would like to better understand how the volume rendering works.
It is explained here

http://yt.spacepope.org/doc/visualizing/volume_rendering.html

that the user defines transfer functions in terms of RGB values.
>From the description of the add_gaussian function, I understand
that these RGB values describe the color value in the interval
[0,1]. Now, in the radiative transfer equation on the above
website, the emissivity gets multiplied by the path length
delta s. I am now wondering how this works: Depending on how
big the step size is, one could get extremely large or extremely
small intensities that are essentially unrelated to the RGB
values that were previously specified. How is it possible that,
for example, the color of a density isosurface depends on the
density only and not on the cell size? I guess I am missing
something.

Cheers,
Maike